Have cavities been troubling you for a while now? They are one of the most prevalent dental conditions that can significantly affect your oral health and smile aesthetics. Hence getting cavities treated promptly with dental fillings can make the difference between saving and losing a natural tooth.
At our office, Roshan Emam D.D.S.in Palo Alto, California, we proudly offer composite fillings for our patients, to address cavities or replace metal dental work.
What Are Composite Fillings?
Composites are tooth-colored fillings that repair cavities and considerably improve the appearance of teeth. They are composed of composite resins that bond to the tooth and seal the damaged areas effectively. Composite fillings can be color-matched with your existing natural teeth and blend in seamlessly with your smile.
Candidates for Composite Fillings
Ideal candidates for composite fillings should have a few things in common, including:
- Metal fillings that need replacement, either because they have declined or because of your discomfort with allergic materials in the mouth
- To treat cosmetic issues caused by conventional metal fillings
- To address moderately mild tooth decay that can be cured with tooth-colored fillings
- If you are distressed with tooth sensitivity due to your metal fillings
Benefits of Composite Fillings
- They are biocompatible and do not cause any adverse reactions to the oral structures.
- They are incredibly customizable and can imitate the natural teeth' color, texture, contour, and translucency to give you a flawless smile.
- They offer excellent sealing properties, cover a cavity entirely, and prevent recurrent infections.
- They can be prepared and placed in the cavity without any hassle and quickly shaped and hardened.
- They restore the strength of the cavity-infected tooth.
The Procedure for Composite Fillings
Composite fillings placement can be completed in a single visit to our dental practice. Dr. Emam will screen your mouth to assess the severity of the cavities. The decay and tartar deposits present in the cavity and its surrounding areas will be eliminated by ultrasonic scaling. Then a jet of water is used to wash away the debris and bacteria.
Next, Dr. Emam will prepare the filling material by matching it with the exact color and texture of the tooth. It will be placed on the cavity, shaped accordingly, and hardened using a curing light. The excess filling material is removed to ensure a correct fit and bite, and finally, the tooth is polished to enhance aesthetics. In addition, we will give you aftercare instructions to ensure the fillings last for a long time.
To learn more about our composite filling treatments, visit our office, Roshan Emam D.D.S., at 850 Middlefield Rd. Suite 8, Palo Alto, CA 94301. You can also reach us at (650) 321-0340.